(1867 – 1868), south of WaKeeney
A fortified stage station, aka Downer’s Station, located south of town on Downer Creek. It was burned by Indians in 1867, but was not formally abandoned as a military post until the next summer. Cellar holes and a ruined stone wall still remain on private property
Downer’s Station on the trail was named for him; this was later fortified as Fort Downer for protection against Indian attacks on the trail in 1867 and 1868.